Friday, September 30, 2016

Like No Other




I have fond memories of being part of “Bridges of Love”.

I remember when I was assigned to do the hashtags for the serye, just days before the pilot episode aired, it was as if a “sign” telling me to stay in ABS-CBN then, when I wasn’t sure of what would happen next. I actually got the text when I was in a church. I had hesitations, because most of my projects ranged from teen to young adult series. But I took it as a challenge… In fact, when I read the pilot script the night before the first episode aired, I fell in love with it. I looked forward to how the production team and actors would give life to a story which was true to its promise of being “like no other”.

By mid-way of our airing, the Digital Coordinator/Online Promo person of the show resigned so I had to assume the responsibility. My job went beyond just creating hashtags, and making them trend on social media. I actually credit “Bridges Of Love” for teaching me how to do daily artcards, and type captions on social media to make the serye worth looking forward to nightly. Suddenly I became a full-pledged online promo person.

With the leading leading men of "Bridges Of Love",
Paulo Avelino and Jericho Rosales.

The show’s supporters were steadily growing – we had a following! In fact, there was Team Buto (in favour of Jericho Rosales’ Gael) vs. Team Kape (for Paulo Avelino’s Carlos Antonio) as to whom Mia (Maja Salvador) should end up with. And our ratings went as high as 28%, when Carlos Antonio finally revealed to Gael that he was his long lost brother, in front of the woman they both loved, Mia. The reactions were so overwhelming. We had a hit – an unexpected but hoped one.

With the geniuses behind this serye like no other,
headwriter BJ Lingan and directors Richard Somes and Will Fredo,
Working on the serye paved way as well to friendships I still keep at this moment. There’s our Executive Producer, Krystal Sioson, who has become an “ate” to me. Our bosses, BUH Ms. Des Tanwangco, Creative Manager Sir Henry Quitain and PM Ate Myleen Ongkiko, The hardworking AP Ate Therine Diquit, amd Production Assistants, especially Pam, Janille and Mich, who have been so generous in sending and updating me the materials I needed to do my promo. Of course, the promo people, Kuya Mico, Ate Kathrina, Kzia, Ate Lota, Joanne, Jayvee and James who have become family to me. And there’s the Creative Team, led by Kuya BJ Lingan, who was even asking for my input and comments on the episodes we aired. And of course, our directors par excellence Richard Somes and Will Fredo, especially Direk Richard who would really take time talking to me everytime we’d see each other on the set and/or in ABS-CBN.

Maja is one of the kindest artists I've worked with.
It was a great pleasure too working with Maja Salvador, Paulo Avelino, Ate Carmina Villarroel and Jericho Rosales, even for just a short span of time. During my set visits, I would be amazed with how they would transform into their onscreen characters, as if it was easy as changing a piece of clothing. They were so good, I would be in awe. Even if I would just watch them on monitor or TV.

First picture with Grae Fernandez, who was then fresh
from playing teen Carlos Antonio in the serye,
“Bridges of Love” also introduced me to Gimme 5’s Grae Fernandez, Mark Anthony Fernandez’ son, who became and remains one of my closest friends in showbiz. He started out really young in the series. Now he’s fastly growing up, bound to be one of the next important leading men of TV and movies. And his short but marked appearance in the series opened bigger doors opportunities for him.

Surprised on the set by the staff  of "Bridges of Love" on my birthday last year.
Most memorable for me was when the production team surprised me with a cake on the set for my birthday, while I was covering Mia’s supposed wedding with Carlos Antonio.

I’m just proud that the serye we worked hard on for 5 months (and more for the production and creative teams) is nominated in this year’s International Emmy Awards under the Best Telenovela category. What a great addition to its growing list of achievements, which includes a successful run in Peru ("Puentes De Amor" via PanAmericana). This is something I would carry on with me wherever the road leads me… That I was a part of something that is, truly, “like no other”.


Congratulations, “Bridges of Love” family! Win or lose, though I would wish and claim victory, making it this far is the best award for all the hardwork and love we put into the serye. <3 

Paulo and Mr. Edu Manzano taking instructions from Direk Richard Somes
Maja as Mia on the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment