Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Written In The Stars


AUGUST 2011


My first picture with Daniel Padilla, taken during his audition for
"Princess And I". 
We were looking for Kathryn Bernardo’s next leading man in her solo launching teleserye, after her last loveteam partner had to take a break from the limelight. It was a Thursday evening, and around 10 teenage lined up outside a room at ABS-CBN ELJ Building, hoping for that big break. To be paired with then rising teen princess was something aspiring teen actors would die for.

I noticed a cute guy sitting in one corner, studying his audition lines. Payat, pero ma-appeal. His eyes caught mine. Malakas ang appeal. I asked our staff who he was. Turned out, si Daniel Padilla, ang napiling makaka-loveteam  ni Kathryn sa weekly youth-oriented series na Growing Up, to premiere the following month.

I asked our PA, named Ysa, if she could take a picture of me and Daniel. I saw yung gulat sa mga mata ni Daniel. Yung, may nagpa-picture sa kanya. I remember now, whenever binabalikan naming yung moment na yun, he told me na ako raw ang isa sa mga unang nagpa-pic sa kanyang staff ng ABS-CBN. Ako naman, the first time I saw him, I thought “may future”. That Padilla aura that made Robin Padilla a cinematic icon was there. Hindi lang ako sure if babagay kay Kathryn.

After ako magpa-pic, I remember him shaking my hand, “Ako po si Daniel Padilla. Salamat po.” Napangiti na lang ako ang said, “good luck sa ‘yo. Galingan mo.”

I went back to the room where Direk Dado Lumibao and the production staff were screening the boys trying out. Maraming gwapo, yes. But we were looking for something. That spunk that would match Kathryn’s innocence and naivete.

When it was Daniel’s turn, we noticed how quiet his acting was. Hindi pasigaw. Para lang siyang casual na nagsasalita. We thought, “low batt si Kuya”. E medyo may tingin na kami sa kanya kasi ilo-launch na siya sa Growing Up in a few weeks. But we saw his eyes – it was acting. Yung tingin nya sa camera… Nama-magnet kami. He has that “something”. Siguro dahil baguhan, kulang pa sa experience o workshop. Nagtitinginan kami. “Pwede”, it was as if nag-uusap-usap ang mga mata namin sa loob ng room.


During Daniel's guesting on "The Buzz" for "Growing Up" promo.
He actually remembered me from our last meeting.
The decision to cast Daniel in “You’re Always My Heart” (eventually “Princess and I”) would come later on pa. But since that audition day, Daniel has become a part of that fangirl in me. Naalala ko pa visting him and Kathryn sa “The Buzz” guesting nila for “Growing Up”. He actually remembered me! And he said then, “Kuya, isali niyo ako sa serye niyo ha!”

I was subtly lobbying for Daniel to be part of our series, kahit third wheel man lang, especially after “Growing Up” premiered. Alam niyo yung, unang eksena pa lang nila ni Kathryn, PAK GANERN na agad ang chemistry. Sa mga panahong hindi pa uso ang hashtags, trending agad sila ni Kathryn sa Twitter.

Daniel at Candy Cuties 2011, just weeks after his
breakthrough "Growing Up" debut. 
The next time I saw him, sa Candy Cuties 2011, just after Growing Up launch, nakita ko kung paano na siya pagkaguluhan ng mga teenage girls. I thought then, a new teen idol was born. His stardom came fastly. I had to hug DJ then, who just told me, “Kuya, ako pa rin ito.” The screaming girls and newfound fame didn’t affect him at all. He remained grounded, still hoping that he’d be cast in a daily series with Kathryn.


Fast forward to late October 2011, in ABS-CBN Studio 4, I was proud to see Daniel doing a promo shoot for the trade launch of “You’re Always My Heart”, as one of Kathryn’s three leading men. Talk about wishes fulfilled. 

Superstardom, and being Kathryn's loveteam, now I know, must be written in the stars for Daniel Padilla.

Daniel was already a crowd favorite at Candy Cuties 2011,
just barely weeks since he appeared in "Growing Up".
In December 2011, during one of his earliest mall shows. Weeks
earlier, he was already introduced as one of Kathryn's leading men in
then upcoming series "Princess and I". 

No comments:

Post a Comment