Thursday, September 22, 2016

Enrique And I

Enrique and I during "Princess And I"'s promo shoot

During “Princess And I”’s promo shoot, Khalil Ramos and I were talking about his character Kiko in the series, and how close it was to my life then. That I fell in love with my best friend, unrequitedly. In the middle of our conversation, Enrique Gil would suddenly sit in and start sharing his own experiences. I was shocked, but I found myself just listening to how Enrique talked smartly. He was giving unsolicited yet on point and sincere advices about what I was going through. From then on, Enrique has become my love adviser – and a really good friend.

PAI taping at St. James in Novaliches. The
series' setting then was in Manila already.

Hindi ako nagkamali sa hunch ko na magiging smooth at masaya ang makatrabaho si Quen, as we fondly call Enrique, sa “Princess And I”. He was really the coolest and kindest. Yung walang reklamo kahit anong ipagawa naming sa kanya, from speaking kilometric Dzongkha lines to wearing those heavy and hot when worn Bhutanese costumes. Jao, especially during the first weeks of the serye, was the most complex character to portray. And he delivered, and more. Inaral niya talaga ang character. The first time I saw the trailer and rushes, nasabi ko sa sarili ko, Quen was Jao. He was meant for Jao. The audience, and the people behind PAI, couldn’t agree more. People everywhere he went to were calling him “Jao” or “Dasho” already.

Weeks before PAI ended, we knew in our hearts na hindi talaga si Jao ang makakatuluyan ni Mikay (Kathryn Bernardo) sa  PAI, as KathNiel’s teamup was becoming a phenomenon. But objectively speaking, Jao was a central character who deserved a happily ever after of his own. And undoubtedly, the Jao-Mikay-Gino was the most talked about love triangle in a long time. We wanted it fair pa rin. Thus, the decision na gawin siyang “I” sa “Princess And I”. Hindi naman kami worried kasi alam naming lalabas si Quen sa seryeng ito na isa nang leading man, ano pa man ang maging ending nito. And being the sport and considerate person Enrique is, he was prepared, and he took it in wholeheartedly. I remembered him saying, “being Jao was more than a privilege for me.”

I actually wore his costume for my graduation pictorial!
He was laughing at me when he saw me wearing it.

During my set visits, I would see a very energetic and hyper Enrique. Minsan pa nga, parang disco sa tent nila dahil may mini-sound system siyang dala. He got along so well with the entire cast and staff – wala akong narinig ni isang reklamo about how he worked. He was a friend to everyone. And he really made time for his dakilang fans na dumadalaw at nagpapaumaga. At di lang basta made time – bonding talaga. He treated his fans his friends, barkada.

During one of my set visits in our "palace" in San Juan
when Quen and I talked for two hours about love. 

Sa tuwing magkikita kami ni Quen, ang una niyang tanong ay, “kumusta kayo ni _______”, referring to my best friend. Magpapakwento siya, kahit 1am na at alam mong pwede niya ipahinga na lang. Yung sa Enchanted Kingdom set nga namin, 2 hours ang inabot namin sa pag-uusap. Then he would give comments and advices, na kailangan ko from a guy’s POV. He made sense. Ramdam ko yung concern at pagiging kaibigan. Imagine, an Enrique Gil for a love guru. But at the end of each conversation, he would remind me na wag kalimutan ang worth ko as a person.

Sa mga panahong I needed a friend who’d listen and guide me, he was there. Unexpectedly. Kaya alam ko na, even if mag-end ang “Princess And I”, at hindi man na kami magkatrabaho, he would still be there for me. Hindi niya ako binigo. 
During PAI's promo in ASAP. 

At the dugout of the first "Princess And I" Royal Fair.
At his brother Javy's birthday celebration

Backstage of ASAP

With a "darker" Quen during the last month of PAI. 








10 comments:

  1. waaahhh..so nice and touching. thanks so much again! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This validates why I am a LizQuen fan. He is a real deal in terms of looks, attitude, & character.
    Thanks a lot po for sharing this amazing blog about Enrique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly kasi walang karisma si Enrique.Nagkakaroon lang if he is dancing.Sa appeal lang and star quality its 1) Daniel 2) james 3) Enrique baka nga may masisingit pa before him eh. He was very lucky na unlimited ang chances nya despite of his flop roles and projects from unsuccessful Jao to flop Mulimg Buksan to flop Mirabella hindi sya sinukuan ng management.Kahit yung issue nya na nagwala sa plane pinagtakpan pa ng Star magic. Still a lucky guy, pays to be masunurin sa network

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow walang charisma ba na trending topic na agad nagpagupit lang ng buhok? walang charisma ba na nakapagsoldout na ng concert. Di ka ba nanood ng pbb halos himatayin na si maymay sa kanya. yung mga girl housemates bighaning bighani. yung boys sabi sobrang cool niya. yan ba walang charisma? yung dalawang binangit mo naging successful lang bcz of their loveteam smntala si Quen because of his good pakikisama and work ethics kaya binibigyan ng project. He had a name even before liza and When she came they both helped each other para umangat. and now people are liking them as loveteam and individualy kasi except sa magagaling na actor/actress, talented at maganda at gwapo ay sobrang bait din sa mga katrabaho at fans. Sobrang genuine.

      Delete
    2. Wow walang charisma ba na trending topic na agad nagpagupit lang ng buhok? walang charisma ba na nakapagsoldout na ng concert. Di ka ba nanood ng pbb halos himatayin na si maymay sa kanya. yung mga girl housemates bighaning bighani. yung boys sabi sobrang cool niya. yan ba walang charisma? yung dalawang binangit mo naging successful lang bcz of their loveteam smntala si Quen because of his good pakikisama and work ethics kaya binibigyan ng project. He had a name even before liza and When she came they both helped each other para umangat. and now people are liking them as loveteam and individualy kasi except sa magagaling na actor/actress, talented at maganda at gwapo ay sobrang bait din sa mga katrabaho at fans. Sobrang genuine.

      Delete
    3. Jewhan, I don't know if you really mean what you said. Enrique walang charisma? Have you watched any of his teleserye or movies? Have you watched ASAP in New York lately? Whose prod was well applauded on stage? It's different when you see him in person. Kilalanin mo muna yung tao before you you conclude that he has no charisma. For your information, Quen is most loved by people here abroad. We admire not just talent or good-looks. We admire most is character and attitude. He has them all.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I forgot to mention, PBB rated high because of Liza and Enrique who showed to the world who they really are. So get your facts right before you comment that Enrique has no charisma. Anyway, it won't change the truth that Liza and Quen are one of the best celebrities that ABS-CBN have. Gold mine so to speak as quoted from Cristy Fermin.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this France. Looks and talent aside (he's one of the few who can really act) he's goodness transcends the screen. He's really a good person and in the end alot of us believe that matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you France for stories like this which are unknown to many people. You have given us a real image of Quen, especially to those who misunderstood and judged him. I'm not a fan of local celebrities, just now because of how I got so fascinated with the tam up of Liza and Quen. Truly, I believe that these two people will go a long, long in showbiz because of the right attitude and superb acting skills and talents. Sana marami pang katulad mo.

    ReplyDelete