Tuesday, October 4, 2016

There's Something About Ronnie




Ronnie Alonte is arguably the most popular member of the noontime “Kilig Ambassadors” Hashtags.

When the group was launched in “It’s Showtime” a year ago, there was a sudden interest in him. To think he was actually coming from nowhere, and no reality show experience to back him up. His fanbase grew fastly, and in short span of time, solo projects were coming in. His life story was even featured in MMK last March, and he had 2 other appearances in the drama anthology: as young Richard Gomez in one episode, and as the boy who came in between twins Joj and Jai in another. He released a chart-topping solo single weeks ago, and he’s got a birthday concert coming up this month. As if these were not enough, he’s starring in two big films before the year ends: Star Cinema’s “Vince, Kath, James” with Julia Barretto and Joshua Garcia, and the MMFF entry “Seklusyon”.

No doubt, he is groomed to becoming one of Kapamilya networks’ next generation leading men. But what is it about Ronnie that makes him stand out, girls swoon and go gaga over him these days?


With Ronnie last March.

I was given the opportunity to visit the set “Vince, Kath, James” last weekend. I was excited to see Julia, Joshua, Maris Racal and the movie’s director Theodore Boborol, who are good friends of mine. Of course, I wanted to see Ronnie, too. I admit, I am curious about him and I find the guy really cute. We’ve had several encounters in ABS-CBN. He was nice and accommodating, but I doubt if he would remember me. We were even supposed to do the promo of his MMK life story together, but didn’t push through because he had to rest after more than 30 hours of taping.

But to my surprise, when Julia introduced me to Ronnie on the set, he said, “Kilala ko siya!” And he gave me an instant warm hug. Wow, matandain ang batang ito.

Ronnie has strong presence on screen
I was observing him during take. I gushed to Direk Ted, “ang gwapo niya po on screen” while looking at the monitor. When I said that to Ronnie afterwards, he joked, “so pangit po ako in person?” Natahimik ako kasi hindi ko alam paano babawiin, and I really thought I offended in person. But he hugged me again and said, “joke lang po”.

When the shoot took a few minutes break, Ronnie sat beside me, tapped me on my cellphobe and started checking his cellphone. Direk Ted said to him, “magsusulat siya sa blog niya about you, gusto mo?” I actually saw his disarming smile. “Talaga po?” Nahiya pa ako because he stopped tinkering wth his cellphone and engaged me into a conversation. Eh wala akong planong mag-interview. And I explained to him briefly na hindi naman formal ang pagpunta ko dun. If ever i-feature ko man siya dito sa blog, hindi typical sit-down interview ang atake. He didn’t mind and started talking to me, like we are really good friends.

Medyo awkward pa kasi I was coming dun sa baka na-offend ko siya. But I found the right words to describe what I felt about him while looking at him sa monitor: “Pang-leading man siya on screen.” Parang nahiya si Ronnie sa sinabi ko. But he flashed his killer smile, sabay sabing “hindi naman po.”

I started asking about his upcoming concert, and I saw the excitement in his eyes. He is so passionate in performing, I observed. He really wants to follow the trail of his idol, Justin Bieber. I asked him kung ano ang ibang gagawin niya sa gabing ‘yun, he said, “’yung iba pong hindi ko pa nagagawa at hindi niyo pa nakikita, gagawin ko po ‘dun”. He mentioned playing the keyboards, and singing songs na hindi pa niya nakakanta publicly.

Will Sue Ramirez be in the concert? He winked at me and answered, “Opo. Opo naman po. Hindi pwedeng wala!”

Our conversation further ranged from his younger, teenage years to what he still wants to achieve as a showbiz personality. He admitted na loko-loko siya when he was younger, but ngayon kapag may rest time, given his really busy schedule ay pinapahinga na lang niya. Hindi na daw siya pala-labas because he had much of it na growing up. I thought, this guy is so open and natural. Walang kiyeme. He was not ashamed to admit na he was once your typical teenage boy na mahilig gumimik at mag-enjoy with friends.

But his eyes lit up more when he started talking about his other hobby, basketball. I even told him na marami ang galing na galing sa kanyang maglaro, especially during Star Magic games earlier this year. Ang nakakatuwa kasi, based din sa MMK life story niya, at sa usapan namin, basketball ang isa talaga sa mga tumulong para magkaroon ng direksyon ang buhay niya. He was even recruited by University of Perpetual Help to play for them, before showbiz called him. Proof that he really is good at playing.

So I asked him, given na naging star varsity player siya, aware ba siyang gwapo siya growing up? “Hindi po,” he answered, which somehow surprised me. Sa dami nang nagkakagusto sa kanya noon pa, “talaga Ronnie?” But when he was in elementary, “I was the ugly one in class”, he shared. So parang yun na yung nag-linger sa utak niya ever since.

But when I countered, “e ngayon ba ganun pa rin, ang daming gwapong-gwapo at hot na hot sa ‘yo, including me!” He smiled shyly, then said, “pero mas marami pa pong iba o mas gwapo sa akin.”

On the set of "Vince Kath James". Our conversation
lasted almost 20 minutes, 
There I realized what could be that something about Ronnie beyond the disarming smile and charm that makes him a favourite sa mga kababaihan at kabaklaan – his innate humility. That he may look maangas on the outside given his stance and physique, pero mahiyain at mapagkumbaba pala. That even amidst the attention and adulation, he doesn’t let it get into his system.

In fact, our conversation was cut several times because some students wanted to have a picture taken with him (the shooting was in a school), but he didn’t mind at all.

Masyadong mahaba ang naging chikahan namin, there is a second part of this article soon. I realized, I took much of his time, and he still has to prepare for his next scene. And I had to go to JK’s “One Voice” concert pa in Music Museum. When I was to bid him goodbye, he told me, “balik ka po ah!” A gesture I find sweet and kind of him. That was just 20 minutes, but it felt like I’ve known him for a long time already.


There’s really something about Ronnie Alonte – and that would leave you asking for more of him. 

(Catch Ronnie Alonte's "Kilig King" birthday concert on October 21, 8 PM at Kia Theatre)

No comments:

Post a Comment