Saturday, October 15, 2016

Jodi's Powers



I practically grew up watching Jodi Sta. Maria on TV. I used to watch her during my teenage years in “Tabing Ilog”. Nasubaybayan ko din siya sa ilang teleserye like the first “Pangako Sa ‘Yo”, “Darating Ang Umaga”, “Kampanerang Kuba”, “Tayong Dalawa” and “Noah”. I always thought that she is a beautiful and great actress. Then “Be Careful With My Heart” came in 2012, her first lead role in a serye after a very long time.

Nakwento ko a bit sa past entry ko, “Ser Luke” (about Jerome Ponce) how I got hooked on BCWMH. First episode pa lang, sobrang na-endear na ako sa pagganap ni Ate Jodi (as I call her now) as Maya. Sabi ko nga, isa siya sa mga pinakamahuhusay na aktres for me talaga. But di ko lang na-imagine na magro-romcom siya. Looking back now, isa ‘yun sa mga factor why hit ang BCWMH. It was so refreshing to see Ate Jodi tackling a character like Maya. Hindi yung aktres/personality ang nakita mo, kundi yung karakter mismo.

Jodi as the iconic Maya Dela Rosa
in "Pangako Sa 'Yo"

I became a fan. Pero alam niyo ‘yung fan na, fan lang talaga? Ilang beses din akong dumalaw sa set ng BCWMH. Nakikita ko siya, pero lagi akong nauunahan ng hiya. Kino-convince ako nina Jerome at Janella Salvador, who have become really good friends, na lumapit at magpakilala. Pero waley e. May isang moment pa sa mansyon, gabi na ako nakarating. I was looking for Jerome and Janella. May tinanong ako kung nasaan sila, hindi ko nakita kasi madilim. Nung tinuro niya kung nasaan sila, at ngumiti, na-realize ko, “OMG! Si Maya!” It was Ate Jodi! Sa sobrang hiya, “thank you” lang ang nasabi ko. Pagpasok ko sa dressing room nina Jerome at Janella, I was gushing. Hindi ko malimutan ‘yun.

Ang nakakaloka, natapos na lang ang BCWMH, hindi pa rin ako nakalapit o nakapagpa-pic man lang. Ni makapagpapirma ng isang DVD ng serye, wala.


When “Pangako Sa ‘Yo” was in development, laging nasa isip ko na si Ate Jodi talaga ang bagay sa Amor Powers. At hindi ako nag-iisa: Most from Star Creatives and the management thought that too. Kaya lang, nung BCWMH finale presscon, she said na hindi raw siya si Amor. Understandable naman because she wanted to take rest din naman. 2 years din siyang si Maya Dela Rosa. And very crucial talaga ang pagpili ng magiging next project niya.


The crowd cheered during the Trade Launch in December 2014
upon the reveal that Jodi will be the new Amor Powers
of "Pangako Sa 'Yo"'s remake. 

Kaya ganun na lang ‘yung tuwa at excitement ko when it was officially announced sa Trade Launch in December 2014 that Ate Jodi will be Amor, while Angelica Panganiban si Madam Claudia at ang KathNiel sina Angelo at Yna sa 2015 remake ng “Pangako Sa ‘Yo”. Kahit hindi naman ako part ng serye. Umiral ang pagiging dakilang fan ko ng original version ng PSY, at ng mga cast nitong bago. I was having goosebumps while the trailer was playing sa venue. It was just perfect.

So when I was offered to be part of it, just days before it went on air, OO ako agad. Sino bang aayaw na maging part ng “Pangako Sa ‘Yo”? I wanted to work with KathNiel again. And it was a chance for me to be part of a Jodi Sta. Maria project.

The unforgettable "batas ng api" moment

Sa araw-araw ng ginagawa ko ang online promo ng PSY, nae-excite ako everytime I would see her performance. She was just amazing. Ate Jodi was the modern day Amor I imagined, and more. Especially nung “Batas Ng Api” episode, I was too eager to do its promo kahit hindi naman talaga kailangan because it was a truly awaited moment sa serye – defining moment yun ng PSY e. And when it aired, napapalakpak ako. Ang husay ni Ate Jodi. Hindi mo makukumpara sa original, because she gave it a new attack. She owned the scene and the moment.

Backstage of Trade Launch in September 2015.

It would take a while before ko siya nakasama. It happened during the next Trade Launch sa Resorts World. Ako na ang na-starstruck when I saw her. Nanginginig ako pag pinipicture-an ko siya. Ang ganda niya. Pero ramdam ko yung kabaitan niya. She would smile, she would accommodate request for pictures. Kahit ako, nilakasan na ang loob magpa-pic sa kanya. Finally. Pero ang hindi ko malimutan sa pagkakataon ‘yun was yung, while waiting for her turn, she read the bible and a devotional book. At hindi lang binasa, she was putting markers and writing on it. Parang ‘yung mga pinopost niya sa Instagram ngayon. She is really a woman of God and faith, I realized. Kahit na maingay sa paligid, or ilang beses siyang nai-interrupt, she was focused and still.

Amor's transformation in November 2015.

Pero ang pinaka-hindi ko malilimutang moment with Ate Jodi was when I covered her change of hairstyle for the serye, sa Studio Fix salon. She was with Thirdy then. While inaayos ang hair niya, she would engage into small talks with me. I remember, ka-text ko si Jerome no’n and he told me na i–“hi” siya kay Ate Jodi. Then I told her na almost complete na ang DVDs ng BCWMH, at wish ko mapirmahan niya. She smiled and said, “dalhin mo sa set, pirmahan ko.” ‘Yun lang, di ko na nagawa.

Afterwards, Ate Jodi treated me and our Executive Producer Ate Sackey Prince to dinner. Nahihiya pa ako kasi ang sosyalin ng lugar. She told me, “order what you want ha.” Pero nagmarka sa akin ‘yung conversation namin. She talked about our show, what would happen… Natitigalgal lang ako. Hindi lang basta starstruck, I was amazed by her graciousness and kindness. We even shared thoughts on “tawaran”. For her kasi, hindi siya tumatawad ‘pag bumibili daw siya sa mga tyangge because ‘yun lang daw ang pinagkakakitaan ng mga tindero’t tinder, which I agreed on. From that moment on, mas naging kumportable na ako. Na-break na yung “ice”. I was getting to know her. I started calling her Ate Jodi na.

Taping her supposed wedding with Eduardo in PSY.


Another unforgettable moment for me was yung taping ng supposed kasal niya kay Eduardo sa PSY. Around 11pm na nung kukunan yung paglalakad niya sa altar. Ang bigat pa ng gown na suot niya. But I saw a very relaxed and patient Ate Jodi. Walang reklamo kahit ilang beses we had to retake because of wardrobe malfunctions, and camera angles. She would just sit in one corner, read the bible and her devotionals, or read her script.



The series of PSY finale mall shows, with her onscreen partner
Ian Veneracion. Their loveteam is called JodIan or Amorado. 

The last of the finale mall show with the hosts at SM Pampanga. Ian didn't make it,
but Jodi still managed to entertain the crowd with her "Jodi Moves".


Iba rin ang powers ni Ate Jodi sa finale series of mall shows naming earlier this year. 4 jampacked (understatement pa ito) malls in 2 days!

“Pangako Sa ‘Yo” was an memorable experience for me, a big part of it because of Ate Jodi. Hindi man kami super close or ano man, pero yung pinaparamdam niya sa akin yung friendliness niya everytime we would see each other sa PSY events. ‘Yung besohan, small talks… Even after natapos ang PSY, hindi pa rin niya ako nalimutan. Sayang nga, I was somewhere and was going through something when “The Achy Breaky Hearts” happened. Hindi ko man lang siya nasuportahan. But when nagkita kami last August sa ASAP, during Star Magic Anniversary, even nagmamadali siya, bumeso talaga sa akin at nag-“hi”.




At ang pinaka-dakilang moment for me recently was when she followed me on Instagram after ko siyang  batiin sa kanyang well-deserved International Emmy Awards Best Actress nomination for her stellar PSY performance. Hindi ko in-expect. Nagulat ako. But I felt proud of myself… Siguro natandaan niya ako. Maybe she saw something in me. But for me, she will always be that Ate Jodi Sta. Maria I will look up to sa pagiging mahusay na aktres, mabait na katrabaho, mabuting tao… A great servant of God. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your fan story abouy JSM. I can relate to your experience with her. She is soft spoken and very kind hearted. Because of that, everyone around her acts the same. She is truly a great actress with a big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not a regular teleserye viewer until I saw Tanging Yaman, where Jodi played Erich's older sister. She was one of the supporting cast, but it is her portrayal of Marina that made a mark for me. I've been a fan ever since. I back-read every article I could find about her and made sure to catch all succeeding teleseryes she was in on TFC. No matter how big or how small her role is, she plays it to the hilt and never disappoints. Not only am I a big fan of her work, but I am more in awe of her as a person - loving, generous, kind and big-hearted. Thank you for sharing, Sir France. Even though I have not met her in person and do not know her personally, reading your article made me feel as if I do.

    ReplyDelete