Thursday, October 20, 2016

From Dakilang Fan To Basurero


Khalil Ramos invited me to the set of his guesting for “Ipaglaban Mo” in Escolta two weeks ago, so I went there as soon as I finished my class.

Chinatown!
 I arrived early, dahil himalang walang traffic on my way, so nag-ikot ikot muna ako sa Escolta, Binondo, Jones Bridge, at umabot pa ako sa National Museum. I realized, minus the worries na baka ma-snatch ako, ang sarap mag-ikot sa “Manila By Night” as I put it on my Social Media account.

When I went to the set, wala pa si Khalil. But I was pleasantly surprised to see who was there, and Khalil’s co-star in the episode: Francis Magundayao! It’s been a while since I last saw him. The guy is so special to me – he played me in my MMK life story aired March 21 last year. He’s one of the reasons why I am the “Dakilang Fan”.


On the set of "MMK: Ang Dakilang Fan"

Our catching up while waiting for the taping to resume led us to reminiscing our experience in that MMK episode. I remember that time when I was told na siya ang gaganap sa akin sa MMK. I had apprehensions at first because I felt he was too young for my part. He was just 15 then. But realizing how good an actor he is, and sobrang na-appreciate ko na tinanggap niya ‘yun kahit at that point e ayaw na sana niya mag-gay role muna, my emotions turned around at mas na-excite ako. He said “yes” because it was me. But the production team of the show didn’t want me to see the first episode taping – they felt it was too heavy baka ‘di ko kayanin. At baka ma-conscious din si Francis at si Brace Arquiza, who played “James”, if I was there. So I had to wait the next taping day to see them and the set. Pero positive naman ang feedback ng mga nasa production when I asked.

Francis as Francis

True enough, when I was watching the episode, I couldn’t help but cry, and give Francis rounds of applause, even if I was all by myself at that moment. He was me, Francis, and more. Napakahusay niya. Mas magaling pa siya sa akin, if you get what I mean. At hindi ako nag-iisa… Unanimous ang mga nabasa kong papuri sa kanyang performance sa social media. When I asked him just last taping of “Ipaglaban Mo” on how he did that, sinabi niyang inalala niya at inaral niya kung paano ako kumilos magsalita, then made his own interpretation eventually. By noontime of his first taping day na raw niya na-immerse at nayakap ng buo ang character niya. It asked too much from him – sa emotions, sa crying scenes. But I assured him it was all worth it. It remains one of his most unforgettable performances on TV.

At masaya ako for him because afterwards, he became part of two TV series: “And I Love You So” and “Born For You”. Francis related his experiences in doing those series, and I reminded him that not just luck but his talent and his attitude towards work led him na maging part ng mga proyektong ‘yun.

Caught on cam! Francis trying some dance moves
while waiting to roll!

As we continued catching up, Francis also shared his passion for dancing. In fact, continuous ang pag-aaral niya ng sayaw, and he has videos of him dancing, and some with “Aryana” loveteam partner Ella Cruz, that have gone viral on social media. I thought, how I wish I could see more of him doing that in “ASAP” and “It’s Showtime”.

Catching up while waiting!

Out of the blue, I asked him bakit wala pa rin siyang lovelife hanggang ngayon, at 17. He smiled and said, “Wala pa nga akong ipambubuhay sa sarili ko.” I was struck and amazed by his answer, then he told me, “hindi ka naman papasok sa isang relasyon if hindi pang-lifetime ang nasa isip mo, di ba?” Deep down, we share the sentiment on love and relationship. In fairness dito kay katukayo, may maturity at malalim na pagtingin sa buhay. May mga crush-crush at gusto siyang makilala. Pero hanggang doon lang muna.

Rainy but happy set of "Ipaglaban Mo"

As soon as Khalil arrived, cameras started rolling. Basurero palang makaka-witness ng krimen ang role ni Francis dito. It was raining, and they had to shoot the crime scene. I thought ititigil ang taping, but the episode’s director, my loves Richard Somes no less, thought mas maganda at effective ang eksena kung umuulan. And they had a cut-off na kailangang habulin. So tuloy lang.

I was worried for both Francis and Khalil, baka madulas-dulas sila at magkasakit. But I saw how good Francis was on that scene, notwithstanding the weather. ‘Yung magaling na, may ihuhusay pa. Sumabay sa ulan ang agos ng emosyon. At that moment, he wasn’t Francis – he was his role.


The “Dakilang Fan” has turned into a basurero. A really good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment