Thursday, November 24, 2016

The Magic of Magic Temple Lives On!




We know and love Direk Mae Cruz Alviar as the director of the mega blockbuster films of KathNiel (Crazy Beautiful You), KimXi (Bride For Rent) and LizQuen (Everyday I Love You). But only a few actually knows that her very first movie was Magic Temple, which came out Christmas Day of 1996. She was the film's production assistant.

When the news came out this week that Magic Temple will be re-released, digitally restored this time by ABS-CBN Film Restoration group, na-excite ang marami especially the Batang 90s whose childhood or adolescent days were shaped by this film. Kasama na ako dun! I'm really a big fan of the film! Naalala ko pa noon, on Christmas Day, I watched it sa Ever Grand Central with my mama and elder sister. Hiningi ko na pa noon, after watching it, bilhan ako ng soundtrack on cassette tape. Napagbigyan naman kasi mataas ang grades ko. Pagbalik ko noon sa Notre Dame (where I studied elementary) after the Christmas break, 'yan ang usapan naming magkaka-klase. At ngayon, everytime I'd check social media posts, nakakatuwa na maraming nagshe-share ng kanilang experiences watching and falling in love with this 20 years ago.

Sino bang makakalimot kina Jubal, Omar at Sambag (Jason Salcedo, Marc Solis and Junell Hernando respectively)? The three pre-teenage boys who were sent out by their mentor Sifu (played by the iconic Jun Urbano) to fight a luring evil force out to destroy the fictional, magical kingdom of Samadhi. Aminin, until now, napapa-chant tayo everytime we are reminded of "buto, kalansay, tabi-tabi po sa bangkay. Lulubog, lilitaw, sa saradong hukay..." And there was Anna Larrucea as Jasmin, the pretty ghost na naging puppy love ni Sambag. Magic Temple, no doubt, one of Philippine Cinema's biggest triumphs in the contemporary times.

Direk Mae and I with Jerome Ponce on the set of "Pangako Sa 'Yo" last year.

Dahil sobrang excited ako sa pagbabalik ng Magic Temple sa big screen, and I really want to introduce and re-introduce this masterpiece of a film to this new generation, I contacted Direk Mae, and asked her questions about her experiences being part of it. Direk and I have worked together and nagka-chikahan several times about her different projects on movie and TV, but this is the first time we talked about this film. I was thrilled. I felt goosebumps while reading her answers. Iba! The magic of Magic Temple lives on!

The 2016 poster of the digitally restored Magic Temple. 


Direk, can you share with us po your experience being part of Magic Temple

I remember my first shooting day very vividly. We pulled out at 4am and it was still dark. I stuck my head out of the jeepney window to feel the cool December breeze in Batangas. I was way too thrilled! I was star struck with Direk Peque Gallaga and was in awe how he and Direk Lore put everything together and in such an organized manner. I learned so much being on the set. It was a tough first film...there were a lot of challenges. But overall and in hindsight, I'd say it was a magical experience. I thank star cinema and Ms. Elma Medua for assigning me to that project. So lucky of me to be part of it!

Sambag, Jubal and Omar.

How was it working po with Junell, Jason, Marc and Anna? 

Working with the boys and Anna was like working with kid brothers and a kid sister. I was their Ate and I was also a playmate, haha! They were very talented kids and I admired them for their professionalism at such a young age. Offcam they were just regular kids who loved to play and would even get into little, typical kids' tampuhans. To this day we are Facebook friends and are still in touch.

Has a remake or re-telling of Magic Temple ever crossed your mind? 

You mean I personally would remake it??? I don't know, I never thought about that! Maybe because I loved it in it's original form that I wish to honor it that way. It would be an honor if I'd be awarded that project but I'd be peeing in my pants out of nervousness! Haha! Seriously I think that I'd love to see Direk Peque and Direk Lore remake it...I would love to see their magic on the big screen once more.

Catch the special screenings of Magic Temple at Power Plant Cinema 1 on December 7 (12:30 PM), December 10 (7:45 PM) and December 13 (6:30 PM) as part of ABS-CBN Film Restoration's REELive The Classics project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment