Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Is Direk Cathy "Maldita"?



During my "Writing for Mainstream Media" talk with students and teachers in Palawan last weekend, one of the questions raised to me during the "Q & A Portion" was, "maldita po ba si Direk Cathy?"

I laughed at the question, and at the same time thought about it seriously. MALDITA was a big word for me to describe such a kindhearted and brilliant director. But somehow, the question was valid - early last year, there was this controversy that came out about her attitude towards her co-workers and talents on the set. Direk Cathy Garcia-Molina was able to clear her name, of course, in no time. She explained her side already. Her colleagues, artists and co-workers, including me, defended her. But for me, I believed, I still had to answer, with cameras on and more than a hundred audience listening, to vouch on how great a person and a director she really is.

Stolen shot of Direk Cathy on her first
meeting for "Forevermore".

I'm a big fan of Direk Cathy's movies ever since. I've watched most of them in cinemas: "One More Chance", "Unofficially Yours", "My Amnesia Girl", "You Are The One", "Miss You Like Crazy", "My Only U", "A Second Chance", "Just The Three Of Us", just to name a few. In fact, I told her and my close friends that I actually saw and still see myself in Sarah Geroimo's Laida Magtalas in one of her biggest hits, "A Very Special Love". I am in love with someone like Miggy Montenegro (played by John Lloyd Cruz). That's how great she is... She can tell our life's story on the big screen without her and us knowing that she is doing it, beautifully. She is more than just a box-office director - she is a master story teller. And only a few can be considered that.

Lull time on the set of "Forevermore" with our
dependable PA Jernee Gratones.

So working with her, when I was starting out, would be a great honor I thought. I wished for it. And it happened, not once but twice. First, on Kathryn and Daniel's big primetime hit Got To Believe, then next on Liza and Enrique's breakout TV series Forevermore. We had several moments in meetings and on the set. She has become more than just a director to me - she is a friend.

Creating Xander's look in "Forevermore"

I saw how passionate and intense Direk Cathy can be during creative and preprod meetings. She wants the best from the material, and from us. She puts so much value on human's real emotions - she would point out and make you feel yourself how a person would feel when he/she would be put in a situation, like what we always write on our teleseryes. She speaks her heart out. She can be frank, straightforward. Yes, she says some bad words on the set. Most of us do! But we don't take them personally, because we know, after a sequence or take, she's gone past it and she would be the one to approach you to give you a hug, reassurring that "nothing personal, just work". And afterwards, we can joke and laugh at each other, hang around like really good friends. She would even personally call writers to suggest scenes, dialogues, ask for revisions if she felt what you wrote isn't working under circumstances on the set... The best part is, she acknowledges your hard work and she's generous with compliments.

Coaching Jerome on the taping of
MMK's Grandparents Day episode

I personally witnessed how she brought out the acting chops in Kathryn Bernardo, Daniel Padilla, Enrique Gil and Liza Soberano, on the set of the seryes we've worked on. She didn't mind spending 2 hours in just one sequence to bring out the best in them. She is patient, considerate, helpful, but she knows and believes that her actors can do and be more. Pinipiga niya ang mga ito to their very best. When she could have given up, walked out... She stayed with and stood by them. And look at where these four young superstars now are! Even on one MMK episode, she was only supposed to visit her good friend Direk Elfren Vibar, but ended up coaching and motivating Jerome Ponce as he played a flighty gay character, really far from his "real" self.

Online biruan with Direk,

On the set, everytime I'd visit, she would be so generous in sharing to me her experiences, her insights. We would even joke at each other, like recently on social media, when I saw her cameo as the hotel chambermaid in the Aga Muhlach-Dayanara Torres film, "Basta't Kasama Kita". She is really cool!

On the set of "My Ex And Whys" in Tagaytay

Now, I'm excited for her newest film, My Ex And Whys, her first on the big screen with LizQuen. This time, her film tackles the pains of breaking up and moving on. You know, just when you thought you've already moved on, here your ex is, trying to win you back. Kaloka lang di ba? And knowing Direk Cathy, she was able to come up with scenes and lines that would surely trigger our emotions. Dun pa lang sa "Pangit ba ako?" line ni Liza that everyone's talking about, and "bakit ikaw pa rin?" to which many of us can connect. We also get to see how Liza and Enrique have grown into becoming reliable and competent artists of this generation, under Direk Cathy's guidance.

At G2B's New Year party, The shirt I was wearing
was a gift from her.

So to answer the question, NO. Direk Cathy is NOT maldita. She's a great director, one of the best we've got, and she's a master storyteller of the story of our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment